Friday, April 28, 2006

Italic type


Italic type refers to a cursive typeface based on a stylized form of calligraphic handwriting.

Italic type is used for the following things:
  • emphasis

  • the titles of works that stand by themselves

  • the names of ships

  • foreign words

  • use-mention distinction

  • introducing terms

  • the latin binary nomenclature, in the taxonomy of living organisms

  • symbols for physical quantities and other mathematical variables

"Italic type." Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. 25 Apr 2006, 21:31 UTC. 29 Apr 2006, 00:48 .

Italic type is not should not be used for:

  • direct quotes

  • indirect quotes



An example of how not to use italic type:

  • “His most rational response to my attempts at drawing him out about literature and art was 'I adore italics, don't you?'” --Siegfried Sassoon

4 comments:

Knightridge Overlook said...

Archie Gait said: "Italic type is not used for: direct quotes, indirect quotes"

Sez you. You're wrong, obviously. This would be an example of prescriptive grammar masquerading as descriptive grammar. There is no authority which could credibly issue a Bloggers' Manual of Style.

Your claim should logically be presented as an imperative: "Italic type should not be used for..." But that would too easily draw the hearer to the obvious challenge: "Why not, and who are you to say?"

Isn't a blog a perfect place for "radical" experiments like new uses for italic type? Suddenly, I picture you as Monk from that TV show, correcting the grammar and spelling in statements written on bathroom walls.

Or should I have spelled out "television?"

Archie T.S. Gait said...

Very interesting article. Thanks, Tom!

And you make a good point as well -- my statement is inherently false, as italic type is used for direct and indirect quotes.

Like many of us, I really need to think a little longer before I click that "publish" button. There are some posts I've written that have been languishing in draft mode for months now, just because they didn't feel quite right. This one would probably have benefitted from a little more thought as well. My apologies.

Knightridge Overlook said...

If I were going to list people who need more reflection before publishing, I wouldn't put you at the top of the list. In fact, I'd put you below me. And a few choice others above us...

Fargo said...

Hey, Archie, you've been quiet lately. What's new?