Thursday, February 16, 2006

Statistics


Statisitics are great. Statistics can be used to prove anything. For example, if I wanted to show how great statistics are, I could say, "90% of people love statistics" and you couldn't argue because there's that percentage sign there and that must mean it's true. Plus, it's on the internet, so it's automatically valid.

On the other hand, if I thought statistics sucked, I could say, "85% of all statistics are incorrect." What could you say to that? You couldn't say, "Well, statistics are still great even if they're all wrong," because that wouldn't make any sense. That's why statistics are so great. You can use them for absolutely anything.

Some statistical quotes:


  • Kent Brockman: [after Michael Moore has given Kent a ridiculous statistic] Where did you get that statistic?
    Michael Moore: Your Mother!

  • Homer: Oh, people can come up with statistics to prove anything, Kent. 14% of people know that.

  • “I've come loaded with statistics, for I've noticed that a man can't prove anything without statistics” -- Mark Twain

  • “Statistics are like a bikini. What they reveal is suggestive, but what they conceal is vital.” -- Aaron Levenstein

  • “It is the mark of a truly intelligent person to be moved by statistics.” -- George Bernard Shaw

15 comments:

Blogger said...

I am 99.9% honored.

Blogger said...

And here I was thinking you were making fun because I posted those American Lung Association stats on the prevalence of smoking. I should have paid my visit to the 'hole first.

Looks like I started something quite nasty. Or funny. Nasty and funny...

Knightridge Overlook said...

50% of blogs are born out of love. Awww.

Archie T.S. Gait said...

Rebecca: Remember, I don't make fun. I love.

Tom: Is the number that low? Is there anything we can do to bring about positive change in this area so that more blogs are started out of love? Ooh! Maybe we could start a blog!

Craig Gernhardt said...

This one ( Craig) percent of Rogers Park thinks Archie is full of shit. God loves Shit.

Archie T.S. Gait said...

Craig, your percentages are a little off. I don't have current population numbers, but as of 2000, you were a mere .001575% of the population of Rogers Park. Kinda puts into perspective how small and insignificant you really are, doesn't it?

Blogger said...

You mean you don't find love to be fun?

(don't worry, you have lots of company...)

Is there anything we can do to bring about positive change in this area so that love could bring you more fun? Ooh! Maybe we could start a blog!

Blogger said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Blogger said...

Archie said: I could say, "85% of all statistics are incorrect."

You could say it, but it would be an invalid syllogism based on a negative premise, as in:

Statisticians can't be trusted.
Archie is not a statistician.
Therefore, Archie can be trusted.

Archie T.S. Gait said...

mpg said: "You could say it, but it would be an invalid syllogism based on a negative premise..."

It would not -- it would just be completely made up, not based upon anything at all.

I like your syllogism though.

Blogger said...

Hmmmm, I have to go ahead and disagree with you. Nevermind.

Here is another good one:
Love can't be measured by statistics;
Archie is all about love;
Therefore, we can never know how tall Archie is.

Archie T.S. Gait said...

Really? Let's say I said "90% of cats are dogs." We can all agree that statement is false. It's not a syllogism. It's just a made-up statement, right?

I really like your new syllogism. It's true though -- we will never know how tall Archie is. I don't even know how tall Archie is.

Blogger said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Blogger said...

The point about the negative syllogism, and the reason why it is really not very nice is that it is based on a negative premise...

I thought you had vowed to give up the negative stuff, Archie...watch it, it has a way of creeping back when you least expect it...

Having some fun mulling over the cat/dog proposition though...(wonder how much DNA they share...?)

Knightridge Overlook said...

Bad stats.